Sunday, October 18, 2009

Valuable website - working with Bamboo

To achieve the spans required, several bamboo elements need to be grouped together to take the load.

Conventional trusses can also work using bamboo. I would like to use bamboo with connectors. I do not want to cut or split the bamboo if it can be helped. Just cutting them to size using a jig and incorporating tensile materials.





I have come across a valuable website for understanding how bamboo can be optimised.








One of the interesting aspects of bamboo contraction is the miriad of ways you can connect and lash the lengths together. As I am looking to intergrate a number of new technologies into the project, optimising connectors is a high priority.




Using more than one section of bamboo to span longer distances is part of my project. A situation where sleeves or clasps are used will make it easier to connect and construct frame elements together. I want to use bamboo essentially in its compressive state, as that is where it is strongest.




At the bottom of the website is information on walling systems using bamboo. As I would like to integrate rammed earth technologies, I would like to see how I might integrate them both. I do have a concern though that te bamboo will eventually break down, leaving large gaps in the wall cavity. This would not be very god as it would weaken the walls.




Another excellent website can be found here:








This site has valuable information on harvesting bamboo and preparing it for use. Additional information such as storage and protection from insects is here too.




No comments:

Post a Comment