Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Peter Zumthor Expo 2000 Pavilion











This project by Peter Zumthor was for the Swiss Pavilion at the Hannover Expo. The design involves the use of thousands of cut pieces of timber elements that are used in conjunction with steel to form walls, floors and roofs. I really like this idea of using one primary element for a multitude of tasks. The way they are placed together allows for a beautiful quality of light and detailed composition.
The steel rods and clamps compress the timber elements vertically, essentially creating a wall.
I am beginning to consider using bamboo in its raw form in more applications. Originally, I had the idea of importing the entire building to East Timor. In recent weeks, particularly after Ian Weir's presentation, I am getting a better idea of the scale and requirements of the project.
Originally, I wanted to use laminated timber beams and steel tubing for framing. I am beginning to believe that the use of bamboo and engaging the East Timorese in the project could produce a more sustainable outcome. I am going to investigate more on the mechanical properties of bamboo and how you can use it.








No comments:

Post a Comment