Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Project Reflection Week 13 Indeterminacy



The project is progressing. I have finalised a number of aspects of the design by my decision to use bamboo as a primary building element. The coupling of materials has been of major importance to me. I want to emphasise the true aesthetic nature of each material, be it bamboo, steel ,aluminium or rammed earth. To have an outcome that could be interpreted as being born from the earth it stands on would be a complimentry comment.

The notion of indeterminacy has changed over the time of the project. Initially, I interpreted chaos theory: at any point within the project, you could magnify to observe scales on an infintie number of levels. They could be able to be magnified or reduced and the core aspects of the design could be maintained.

Then I considered scaleless indeterminacy to mean something asymptotic: No matter how close you feel to producing the theoretical and emotional meaning of a project, or sketch even, another opportunity would arise to allow you to reintepret what has been developed. In essence, the very notion of working towards an outcome would mean that you would never arrive at the predetermined destination.

I will consider this further over the coming days. The irony of the fact that the meaning is constantly changing is not lost on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment